Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Friday, December 4, 2015

Adding Duplicate Sources to Online Family Tree Programs

There seems to be an ongoing issue being raised about adding duplicate sources to family tree programs. I have just written a long explanation of my views on this subject for my other blog, Rejoice, and be exceeding glad... I wrote the post for my other blog because it deals primarily with an issue that is related to the FamilySearch.org Family Tree. The post is entitled, "Is there a problem with adding multiple copies of the same document as sources?" My focus in the Rejoice blog is primarily on issues concerning the online family history community of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but from time to time my comments have a more general application. I know some of my readers severely limit their blog reading, but you might want to check the Rejoice blog from time to time, even if you are not a member of the LDS Church. FamilySearch.org certainly has a much wider interest to the larger genealogical community and I have been addressing FamilySearch issues in the Rejoice blog.

Thanks for reading this and any other blog about genealogy. I realize that many of us are becoming overwhelmed by the quantity of communication available through social networking and other media venues, but if we have an interest, it is best to try and focus on the things that really matter.

Just a side comment on social networking. Yesterday, my wife got a forwarded text from a grandson whose high school had just been "locked down" due to a supposed threat of a student with a gun. We learned about this moments after the event occurred. It turned out to be a hoax and the student responsible was arrested, but our whole family was almost instantly involved. Social networking has its place and so do blogs. I cannot get too far into Facebook etc. because I always have a lot more to say than these venues support although I do post my blog posts on all sorts of social networking programs.

2 comments:

  1. ok now after reading this blog brought up a question/ concern that I have concerning this, but please don't get me wrong i like and use to my benefit the fact that Family Search and ancestry are sharing information, but I have also noticed that when you compare members of your tree and you share sources that a few of them will be duplicates simply due to one source coming from FamilySearch and one coming from Ancestry even though they are the same, the biggest one being the United States Federal Census. Have you heard and/or know if either company is going to make it possible for those duplicate sources to be merged into one source? as of right now I normally just have the one source, normally the one I found first and leaving the the other off of my tree, is there a better way to handle this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have addressed this extensively in my post Is there a problem with adding multiple copies of the same document as sources? http://rejoiceandbeexceedingglad.blogspot.com/2015/12/is-there-problem-with-adding-multiple.html

      Delete