Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Saturday, January 17, 2015

MyHeritage and 23andMe now integrated

One of the largest, in not the largest, online genealogical DNA programs, 23andMe.com and MyHeritage.com, the huge online family tree and database company, have now formally joined hands to offer an integrated product. As 23andMe states, you can now:
  • Learn what percent of your DNA is from populations around the world
  • Find DNA relatives to expand your family tree
  • Understand your maternal and paternal lines
In the past, I have been skeptical of the overall value of DNA testing the genealogical context absent the underlying genealogical research necessary to connect individuals to a remote ancestor. Granted, I understood that DNA could give you a percentage relationship to various ancestral groups such as the British Isles, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe or Italy, but personally had no particular interest in that aspect because my own genealogies had extended back to the point where the issue was somewhat moot.

This past week, at the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy, I had two classes on genealogical research related to DNA testing. His were not the first classes I had on DNA testing but they were the first classes where the connection between valid genealogical research and DNA testing was made clear enough for me to be persuaded of its validity and usefulness.

Given my new perspective, I can see the tremendous value in having MyHeritage.com with over 74 million members worldwide and 23andMe.com now associated. If you have been considering DNA testing this is certainly an area that should be explored.

No comments:

Post a Comment